The thyroid is a very fatal disease. It can lead to severe negative consequences and other medical conditions. So, it is essential to prevent thyroid. As prevention is always better than cure!
But how can one prevent thyroid disease?
This article discusses the ways by which one cannot guarantee the prevention of thyroid disease but yes, one can reduce the risk of developing thyroid disease.
What are the 8 ways by which one can reduce the risk of thyroid disease?
The best diabetes doctor in Ghaziabad suggests 8 ways that will help you to reduce the risk of thyroid disease. They are as follows-
- Request for a thyroid collar for X-rays: One of the main causes and risk factors of thyroid disease is radiation exposure. So, during an X-ray, it is recommended to request a thyroid collar for your neck to protect the thyroid gland from radiation exposure. This will reduce the risk of thyroid cancer.
- Avoid Smoking: Cigarettes contain toxins that are harmful to the thyroid glands and increase the risk of thyroid disease. Smoking discourages the production of thyroid hormones and reduces the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels. So, it is essential to avoid smoking to avoid thyroid disease.
- Perform a thyroid neck check: As the saying goes, “The sooner the better”, the sooner the thyroid condition and symptoms are detected, the better it is as timely treatment can be given and bigger complications can be avoided. So, for early detection of thyroid, it is essential to do a regular thyroid neck check. This test will help identify lumps and swelling on your thyroid. If you notice any bumps or swelling on your thyroid after performing this test or notice any other symptoms of thyroid, it is advisable to seek immediate help from a diabetes doctor in Ghaziabad to get timely treatment and prevent further complications.
- Reduce eating soy: Excess soy can increase the risk of developing thyroid disease. So, it is essential to limit the consumption of soy. Soy is known to hinder the absorption of levothyroxine (thyroid hormone replacement medication). So, it is recommended to avoid eating food containing soy for at least a few hours after taking your medication.
- Include selenium supplements: Selenium is a nutrient found in certain proteins. Selenium helps to keep the thyroid at bay. So, it is essential to consume selenium supplements to reduce the risk of developing thyroid disease. But in some cases, selenium supplements can prove fatal and increase the risk of developing diabetes. So, before taking selenium supplements, it is advisable to first consult your doctor in Ghaziabad.
- Avoid Excess perchlorates: Perchlorates are colorless salts that are found in contaminated water. Excess perchlorates can decrease thyroid hormone levels by decreasing the transport of iodine into the thyroid. So, it is essential to avoid excess perchlorates and check the water for perchlorates before consuming it.
- Get treatment for celiac disease: Celiac disease causes gluten sensitivity. People having celiac disease also are found to have thyroid. As celiac disease causes iodine and selenium deficiency, it makes one more prone to develop thyroid disease. So, if you suffer from celiac disease, it is essential to get it treated as soon as possible to reduce the risk of developing thyroid disease.
- Visit your doctor on a regular basis: Regular visits to your doctor for health check-ups can help in the early detection of medical conditions including thyroid. This can help in getting timely treatment and help avoid severe complications and prevent the thyroid from worsening. Especially, people who are at a higher risk of developing thyroid disease, regular visits to your doctor in Ghaziabad for health check-ups are highly recommended. This will help your doctor to monitor your thyroid hormone levels on a regular basis.
Hope this article made you understand the ways through which one can reduce the risk of developing thyroid.
By implementing the above tips one can surely if not prevent reduce the risk of developing thyroid disease.
If these tips in the case aren’t working on you or you are facing thyroid symptoms, don’t panic!
In such cases, it is advisable to seek immediate help from a diabetes doctor in Ghaziabad to receive treatment and avoid your condition from worsening.
So, are you experiencing any thyroid symptoms?
Then visit the best diabetologist in Ghaziabad to get effective treatment for thyroid disease.